Chocolate cake made with Guinness beer
This beer cake doesn’t taste like beer but the beer really brings out the flavor of the chocolate. Guinness beer cake is a great cake for that beer lover or if you just want a really intense chocolate flavor in your cake.
I used chocolate ganache to frost my beer cake but you could also use regular buttercream if you don’ want your cake to be as rich.
Guinness beer cake makes a great cake for Saint Patrick’s day!
Beer Cake Recipe
- 17 oz AP flour
- 28 oz sugar
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 5 oz natural cocoa powder like Hershey's brand
- 8 oz butter
- 4 large eggs beaten
- 16 oz Dark Guinness Beer
- 11 oz sour cream
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- Grease 2 8" round pans and line with parchment paper. Set aside
- In a large saucepan, heat beer and butter until butter is melted. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in sugar and cocoa powder until blended.
- Combine eggs, sour cream and vanilla in a medium bowl. Whisk contents of medium bowl into beer mixture.
- Combine flour and baking soda. Whisk into beer mixture until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350ºF/175ºC for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan.