Nicholas Lodge Gumpaste
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 2-3 tsp vegetable shortening
- 12 tsp Confectionary Arts tylose powder Make sure the 12 tsp are level (30 grams)
- 4 egg whites fresh egg whites are best
- Add 4 egg whites to a stand mixer bowl.Mix the egg whites for 1-2 minutes using a paddle attachment to break them up. You must use a paddle attachment.
- Pour all the powdered sugar in except for about 1 cup.
- Mix the powdered sugar and egg whites at medium-high (about 6 or 7 on a Kitchenaid mixer) until you get a royal icing consistency.
- Sprinkle the tylose into the royal slowly until the mixture starts to clump.
- Remove from the mixing bowl.
- Put shortening on your hands and knead until consistent.
- Knead in more sugar if it's too soft or wet. It will feel spongy and have a pocked look, that is normal.
- Place gumpaste in a zip-lock bag and then put into the refrigerator overnight to mature. This step is mandatory.
- Bring to room temperature before use. Knead until smooth with a bit of shortening on your fingers.
Skill level: Newb
Learn how to make my favorite gumpaste recipe by Nicholas Lodge. Perfect for making beautiful sugar flowers. This isn’t my recipe, I just love using it. This gumpaste works very well, makes thin petals and is very strong.
Pair some beautiful sugar flowers up with my white cake recipe and you’ve got a winning combination!