Chewy chocolate peppermint with a sweet white chocolate drizzle and crushed peppermint candy
My family loves these chewy chocolate peppermint cookies and so do I! The cookies are soft like a brownie with the chew of a chocolate chip cookie. The drizzle of white chocolate adds some sweetness and the crushed peppermint adds the perfect balance of flavor and texture.
I originally made these cookies for my son, Ezra’s three-month photoshoot. I don’t’ know why I decided to do this to myself every month but I’ve committed now so I guess I have to keep going. See my previous photos for October and November.
I admit the best part of this photoshoot was the excuse to gorge myself on yummy cookies for a week!
These cookies are perfect for making with your kids. My daughter Avalon loves to do the chocolate drizzle and crush the peppermint.
These cookies stay incredibly soft for days. We keep our in an airtight container on the countertop so anyone can grab them when they have a hankering for a Holiday treat. Perfect for a cookie exchange or to leave for Santa Clause on Christmas eve.
If you loved my Christmas sugar cookies or my gingerbread men cookies, you’ll love these soft and chewy chocolate peppermint cookies. They are a huge hit with friends and family.
Chocolate peppermint cookie ingredients
Brown Sugar – Adds flavor and a chewy texture to the cookies
Butter – Helps the cookies spread and adds flavor
Eggs – Provides the structure for the cookie and adds moisture
Honey – Keeps the cookies moist for days and adds flavor
Baking Soda – The main rising agent in these cookies and adds flavor
Baking Powder – Gives more of a cakier texture to the cookies, leave it out if you like your cookies to be flatter
Vanilla – Flavor!
Salt – Brings out the flavor of the chocolate
Flour – Provides structure to the cookie
Cocoa Powder – I’m using dutched cocoa powder but you can use any kind that you like
White chocolate – A hint of sweetness and holds the peppermint candy on the cookie
Crushed Peppermint – Just the right amount of peppermint crunch to the top of the cookie
How to make chocolate peppermint cookies
These chocolate peppermint cookies come together in a flash. I am using my Bosch universal plus mixer but you can use any mixer you have or even use a whisk if that’s all you have.
Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Add in your eggs one at a time, letting each mix fully before adding the next. Adding eggs too fast can cause your batter to curdle. Mix on medium until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Scrape the bowl and then add in your vanilla, flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and honey. Mix on low until combined.
The dough is fairly thick. Scoop the dough using a #20 cookie scoop or approximately two Tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. Place the balls about 1″ apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten the ball with a fork like you’re making peanut butter cookies.
Bake in your preheated oven for 8 minutes. These cookies don’t spread hardly at all. Let them cool for about 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. Once they are cool you can decorate them!
Crush your peppermint candies inside a sandwich bag with a mallet or hammer.
Meltdown your white chocolate. I put mine in the microwave for 1 minute, then 15 seconds and then stirred until completely melted. Don’t overheat your chocolate or it could burn.
Place the chocolate into a piping bag or simply use a spoon and drizzle the chocolate over the tops of your cookies.
All that’s left to do is enjoy! Let me know in the comments if you try these cookies out and what you think of them. To me they are pretty much heaven on a plate!
Need more Christmas cookie ideas? Try these out!
Chewy Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 6 ounces (170 g) unsalted butter softened
- 9 ounces (255 g) brown sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 12 ounces (367 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 ounces (85 g) cocoa powder I used cocoa barry extra brute but you can use any kind you have
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 ounces white chocolate
- 2 ounces peppermint candy crushed
- #20 cookie scoop
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together your brown sugar and softened butter with the paddle attachment on medium speed until light and fluffy. About 2 minutes.
- Add in your room temperature eggs one at a time on low speed, letting each incorporate fully before adding the next. Mix on medium speed 30 seconds.
- Add in your vanilla, honey, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix on low until just combined
- Scoop dough onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets
- Press dough balls down with a fork or with your hand
- Bake for 8 minutes and then remove from the oven to cool
- Once cookies are cooled, drizzle with melted chocolate and top with crushed peppermint candies