Rice Cereal Treat Recipe For Sculpted Cakes And Toppers
This is my recipe for making rice cereal treats for toppers and for sculpted cakes. The main difference between this recipe and a regular rice cereal treat recipe is that it doesn’t have any butter and it has chocolate added to it. Butter makes RKT too soft and not ideal for sculpted cakes. The additional chocolate helps keep the RKT nice and solid so they don’t pull away from the structure.
Make sure that when you are applying RKT to a structure you have a base of melted marshmallows on the structure or your RKT will fall off. Also remember to let your RKT mixture cool for 10 minutes until it can hold it’s shape before attaching to the structure. Wrap the RKT well and let cool fully before attempting to carve.
Rice Krispy Treats (RKT)
- 8 oz (227 g) Marshmallows
- 8 oz (227 g) Rice cereal
- 2.5 oz (71 g) Melted chocolate melties work best
- Small amount (Small amount) Vegetable shortening
- Plastic wrap
- Put marshmallows into microwave-safe bowl and melt in microwave for 1 minute on high. Check marhsmallows and mix with a spoon and then put back into the microwave for 30 seconds, checking every time and mixing until completely melted.
- Melt chocolate over a double-boiler on the stove or in the microwave. Microwave chocolate for 30 seconds and stir 2 times, then microwave for 15 seconds at a time, stirring every time and checking until completely melted. Don't over-heat, if chocolate gets heated for too long it will burn.
- Add rice cereal and melted chocolate to marshmallows. Mix until evenly coated.
- Let set 5-10 minutes before handling.