Did You Make This Recipe?Leave a rating and tell me how it went!
Marionberry Filling Recipe
This is a delicious berry cake filling that's easy to make and won't leak out of your cake layers.Print Rate Never Miss A Cake
Serves: 7 cups
- 1 cup pasterized egg whites
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 2 lbs unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 lb marionberries can use black berries instead, use frozen berries for a sweeter taste
- 1 tube bavarian cream can use shelf-stable vanilla pudding or pastry cream instead
- 1 lemon
- Add egg whites and powdered sugar to a stand mixer bowl. Turn mixer on medium (setting 5 on Kitchenaid mixer).
- As egg whites and powdered sugar is mixing, start adding butter, one chunk at a time. Add 1/2 of the butter.
- After adding 1/2 the butter, turn mixer up to high setting and continue adding the rest of the butter.
- Add the sea salt. Let the mixer run on high for 10 minutes to let the buttercream whip and mix accordingly.Stop mixing buttercream when it has turned white, if you stop too soon it will taste like butter and not frosting.
- While buttercream is mixing, place marionberries in a strainer over a large bowl and push out excess juice with a spatula.
- If your buttercream starts to creep up the edges of the side of the bowl, use a creme brulee torch to heat the sides of the bowl just enough so that the buttercream starts to slide back down. Don't overheat with the torch.
- After straining, put marionberries into a bowl. Roll lemon on a hard surface to get it ready for squeezing. Add a squeeze of lemon juice onto the marionberries.
- Squeeze bavarian creme into berries until there are equal parts creme and berries. Mix together with a spatula.
- When buttercream has finished and is white, remove 1/2 of the batch and set aside. Add the berries to the mixer bowl and make sure there's equal parts buttercream to berry mixture.
- Mix on high for about 1 minute until combined. Use the rest of the buttercream to ice the outside of the cake
Adding buttercream to the berry filling will give it body and make it harden after putting the cake in the fridge to cool. This will ensure that the filling will not run out of the cake.
Calories: 1484kcal (74%) | Carbohydrates: 137g (46%) | Protein: 5g (10%) | Fat: 105g (162%) | Saturated Fat: 66g (330%) | Cholesterol: 278mg (93%) | Sodium: 408mg (17%) | Potassium: 213mg (6%) | Fiber: 3g (12%) | Sugar: 130g (144%) | Vitamin A: 3375IU (68%) | Vitamin C: 21.8mg (26%) | Calcium: 56mg (6%) | Iron: 0.6mg (3%)
Skill level: Newb
Learn how to make this delicious Marionberry cake filling.