Bright red cake recipe that can be modified for any color!
This bright red cake recipe is based on my yellow cake recipe with some added food color. You can replace the color with whatever color you would like and get the same results. If you want to make a blue cake though I would replace the egg yolks with egg whites so it doesn’t turn out green. This recipe is great for making gender reveal cakes
Bright red cake recipe for lumberjack cake tutorial
I use this bright red cake recipe for my lumberjack tutorial. It’s the perfect shade of red. I didn’t use my red velvet cake recipe because the cocoa powder dulls down the bright color.
Bright red cake recipe (for sculpted cakes)
- 12 oz unsalted butter room temperature
- 19 oz granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs room temperature
- 19 oz AP flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 12 oz whole milk room temperature
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 oz vegetable oil
- 2 tsp egg yellow food coloring
- 1 Tbsp Super red food coloring
- NOTE: It is SUPER IMPORTANT that all the room temperature ingredients listed above are room temperature and not cold so that the ingredients mix and incorporate correctly.
- Heat oven to 335º F/168º C.
- Add butter to stand mixer and beat at medium-high speed until smooth and shiny, about 30 seconds. Gradually sprinkle in the sugar, beat until mixture is fluffy and almost white, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, fully combining each egg before adding the next. Add in your yellow and red food color and combine until color is evenly mixed through.
- Combine dry ingredients and whisk together. Set aside
- Combine wet ingredients and set aside
- With the mixer at the lowest speed, add about a third of the dry ingredients to the batter, followed immediately by about a third of the milk mixture, mix until ingredients are almost incorporated into the batter. Repeat the process 2 more times. When the batter appears blended, stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Smooth the tops with a rubber spatula. Bake cakes until they feel firm in the center and a toothpick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs on it, about 35-40 minutes.