This is my favorite way to make gummy crystals that are super clear, sparkly and oh so beautiful on a geode cake!
Equipment & Ingredients
Flash Dust (10%) OFF
- crystal molds
- 16 ounces cool water
- 60 grams super clear bloom 300 gelatin
- ½ teaspoon strawberry extract clear
- ¼ teaspoon citric acid
- ¼ teaspoon flash dust
- 1-2 drops food coloring optional
- Pour liquid into a microwave safe bowl or pouring vessel. Sprinkle gelatin over top of liquid and gently push and stir dry gelatin into liquid. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Microwave the gelatin mixture at 100%, for 15 seconds. Stir, microwave again for 15 seconds stir. If gelatin still appears lumpy microwave again for 15 seconds and stir. Do not overheat or boil.
- Add the citric acid, stir.
- Set it aside for 10 minutes to allow gelatin to settle and foam to rise.
- Skim the foam off the gelatin and discard
- Add in your extract and flash dust and stir to combine
- Pour the gelatin into your desired molds. I'm using the crystal molds from simicakes.com
- Use a toothpick to add some swirls of color. Don't add too much.
- Place the molds on top of a sheet pan and refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours
- Carefully remove the gummy crystals from the molds and place on top of your cake!