This is a great chocolate cake with lots of yummy chocolate flavor but sturdy enough to use for sculpted and carved cake designs
Chocolate Cake Recipe (for carving)
This chocolate cake has great flavor and texture but is sturdy enough to be used in carved cakes! This recipe makes two 8" rounds
Servings: 4 lbs
- 8 oz unsalted butter room temperature
- 14 oz granulated sugar
- 15 oz AP flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 oz dutched cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 16 oz water room temperature
- 2 oz vegetable oil
- NOTE: It is SUPER IMPORTANT that all the room temperature ingredients listed above are room temperature and not cold so that the ingredients mix and incorporate correctly.
- Heat oven to 335º F/168º C.
- Add dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder) together in a bowl, whisk to combine and set aside
- Combine wet ingredients in a bowl and set aside
- Add butter to stand mixer and beat at medium-high speed until smooth and shiny, about 30 seconds. Gradually sprinkle in the sugar, beat until mixture is fluffy and almost white, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, fully combining each egg before adding the next.
- With the mixer at the lowest speed, add about a third of the dry ingredients to the batter, followed immediately by about a third of the water mixture, mix until ingredients are almost incorporated into the batter. Repeat the process 2 more times. When the batter appears blended, stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Smooth the tops with a rubber spatula. Bake cakes until they feel firm in the center and a toothpick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs on it, about 35-40 minutes.
Calories: 1375kcal | Carbohydrates: 171g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 75g | Saturated Fat: 46g | Cholesterol: 307mg | Sodium: 2187mg | Potassium: 740mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 104g | Vitamin A: 1685IU | Calcium: 221mg | Iron: 8.4mg