Homemade Cinnamon Rolls With Cream Cheese Frosting
Soft and fluffy homemade cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting made from scratch! Prepare these ahead of time and bake them fresh!
Servings 12 Rolls
Cinnamon Roll Dough
- 4 ounces milk 110ºF
- 5 grams dried instant yeast
- 14 ounces all-purpose flour or bread flour
- 4 ounces butter softened
- 2 ounces sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 4 ounces unsalted butter softened to almost melted
- 4 ounces granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
Cream cheese frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 ounces unsalted butter softened
- 3 ounces powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces heavy whipping cream or less if you like a thicker consistency
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Warm milk to 110ºF. Add in 1 Tablespoon of your sugar and then the yeast and whisk to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes or until foamy.
Place flour in the mixing bowl with the yeast/milk mixture and stir until combined
Add in your eggs one at a time, letting each combine before you add the next
Add in sugar, butter and salt and mix on low until combined
Let mix on low for 5-10 minutes until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and bounces back when you touch it. You can also do the window test (see blog post for example)
Shape the dough into a smooth ball and then place it into a greased bowl. Cover with a tea towel and let rise for 90 minutes in a warm place *see note**
For the cinnamon sugar filling
To make the rolls
Line a 13"x18" sheet pan with parchment paper (or similar sized pan)
Once your dough has proofed, roll out the dough 10" wide, 1/2" thick. It doesn't matter how long. Spread the cinnamon sugar filling over the surface evenly, all the way to the edges, except keep one edge without cinnamon so you can seal it.
Roll up the dough length-wise. Make sure the first roll is very tight so you get a nice spiral, then continue pushing the dough until you reach the edge. Brush a little water or egg wash along the bare edge so it seals the loose edge of the dough.
Cut the roll into 12 equal slices and arrange on your parchment covered pan
Cover loosely with a tea towel and let proof to double then bake (or cover tightly with plastic wrap and put in the fridge if you want to bake them the next day. Let come to room temperature and proof to double before baking. This can take 1.5-2 hours depending on how warm your kitchen is)
Bake at 350ºF for 35-40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 200ºF
For the cream cheese frosting
Cream the cream cheese with a hand mixer until smooth. Then add in the softened butter and cream until smooth.
Add in the powdered sugar, salt, vanilla and milk, and cream until smooth and the desired consistency. Drizzle over warm cinnamon rolls.
For the best possible results, read through the blog post and recipe to avoid common mistakes.
- Use a scale to weigh your ingredients (including liquids) unless otherwise instructed (Tablespoons, teaspoons, pinch etc). Metric measurements are available in the recipe card. Scaled ingredients are much more accurate than using cups and help ensure the success of your recipe.
- Metric measurements (grams) are available by clicking the small box under the ingredients in the recipe card labeled “metric”
- Practice Mise en Place (everything in it's place). Measure out your ingredients ahead of time and have them ready before you start mixing to reduce the chances of accidentally leaving something out.
- Try to use the same ingredients as the recipe calls for. If you must make a substitution, be aware that the recipe may not come out the same. I try to list substitutions where possible.
- *(I pre-heat my oven to 170ºF for five minutes then TURN THE OVEN OFF. It should be barely warm inside. Place a bowl of warm water in the back of the oven and your covered bowl of dough into the oven and shut the door)
- Do not be afraid to mix your dough enough. Do the window test to see if your dough is ready.
Serving: 1roll | Calories: 476kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 114mg | Sodium: 266mg | Potassium: 81mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 971IU | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 2mg