This is a great red velvet cake with lot’s of flavor but is sturdy enough to use for carved and sculpted cakes
Red Velvet Cake Recipe (for sculpted cakes)
This red velvet cake has amazing flavor and texture and is sturdy enough to use for sculpted cakes. This recipe is enough to make two 10" rounds
Servings: 10 cups
- 9 oz unsalted butter room temperature
- 22 oz granulated sugar
- 22 oz AP flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 5 large eggs room temperature
- 20 oz buttermilk room temperature
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 oz vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp egg yellow food coloring
- 2 Tbsp super red food coloring
- NOTE: It is SUPER IMPORTANT that all the room temperature ingredients listed above are room temperature and not cold so that the ingredients mix and incorporate correctly.
- Heat oven to 335º F/168º C.
- Add butter to stand mixer and beat at medium-high speed until smooth and shiny, about 30 seconds. Gradually sprinkle in the sugar, beat until mixture is fluffy and almost white, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, fully combining each egg before adding the next.
- Add in your food coloring to the egg/butter/sugar mixture
- Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk to combine and set aside
- Combine wet ingredients and set aside
- With the mixer at the lowest speed, add about a third of the dry ingredients to the batter, followed immediately by about a third of the milk mixture, mix until ingredients are almost incorporated into the batter. Repeat the process 2 more times. When the batter appears blended, stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
Calories: 763kcal | Carbohydrates: 98g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 23g | Cholesterol: 154mg | Sodium: 1074mg | Potassium: 237mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 68g | Vitamin A: 865IU | Calcium: 153mg | Iron: 2.8mg