Skill level: Intermediate
Guest instructor Mitchie Curran returns for this fun holiday special! In this video, you will learn how to take a store-bought gingerbread house kit give it the ol’ fixer-upper treatment, taking a broken-down double-wide and converting it into a cozy upscale bungalow. Mitchie offers several tips and tricks that will level-up your gingerbread house into an amazing snowy masterpiece.
Mitchie also breaks down how to make ginger clay, a special material that works just like modeling chocolate, how to bake your own gingerbread house kits, and a fast trick for getting your gingerbread pieces to stick together.
There’s a lot to cover in this tutorial, so let’s get our tools together and let’s get started!
51:35 Minutes of Instruction
What You Will Learn
- How to upgrade a store-bought gingerbread house kit or bake your own gingerbread house kit into a beautiful cozy gingerbread cottage
- Learn how to make ginger clay
- Mitchie’s trick on getting gingerbread to stick together without using royal icing (and waiting forever for it to dry)
- Overview of the equipment
- Assessing the gingerbread
- Cutting the gingerbread
- Trimming the pieces
- Making ginger clay
- Coloring the ginger clay
- Making a color wash
- Gluing the gingerbread together
- Making your own gingerbread
- Rolling out the gingerbread dough
- Cutting out gingerbread pieces
- Making the decorations
- Decorating the house